|Position Title:||Sous Chef|
|Location:||Desert Willow Golf Resort, Palm Desert, CA|
|Reports to:||Executive Chef|
|Classification:||Salaried, Exempt, Full-time, Non-Seasonal|
Send Applications to: Derek White, General Manager via email at [email protected]
Works with the Executive Chef in supervising food production for all food outlets, banquet events and other functions at the club. Serves as “second-in-command” of the kitchen in the absence of the Executive Chef. Supervises food preparation personnel, assists with food production tasks as needed and assures that quality and cost standards are consistently attained.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Assumes complete charge of the kitchen in the absence of the Executive Chef.
- Works with the Executive Chef on purchasing, inventories, pricing, cost controls, requisitioning and issuing for food production. All purchasing must meet resort and City of Palm Desert purchasing policy. Ensure that all products are ordered according to predetermined product specifications and received in correct unit count and condition and deliveries are performed in accordance with the restaurant’s receiving policies and procedures.
- Assists the Executive Chef in planning menus with the Director of Food & Beverage for all Restaurant and Banquet Operations. Assist the Director of Catering in planning for all Banquet Menus as delegated.
- Assists the Executive Chef in rotating all menus for seasonality and holidays, as well as for all resort special events.
- Ensure that all food and products are consistently prepared and served according to the resort’s recipes, eye appeal and flavor of prepared foods, portioning, cooking and serving quality standards.
- The Sous Chef should be capable of filling all kitchen positions as a fill in where needed to ensure guest service standards and efficient operations.
- Check and maintain proper food holding and refrigeration temperature control points.
- Assist the Executive Chef in providing safety training in first aid, lifting and carrying objects and handling hazardous materials with all staff.
- Ensures proper staffing for maximum productivity and high standards of quality; controls food and payroll costs to achieve maximum profitability.
- Prepares reports, costs menus, makes schedules and performs administrative duties as assigned by the Executive Chef.
- Make employment and termination decisions including interviewing, hiring, evaluating and disciplining kitchen personnel as appropriate.
- Monitors the condition of equipment and makes recommendations for maintenance, repair and upkeep of the kitchen, its equipment and other areas of the club.
- Be knowledgeable of restaurant policies regarding personnel and administer prompt, fair and consistent corrective action for any and all violations of company policies, rules and procedures.
- Assist in the training of kitchen personnel in safe operation of all kitchen equipment and utensils.
- Responsible for training kitchen personnel in cleanliness and sanitation practices.
- Ensure that all kitchen staff maintain appropriate grooming standards and wear the appropriate uniform and headwear.
- Assist the Executive Chef in maintaining an “A” Grade in all health department inspections.
- Responsible for maintaining appropriate cleaning schedules for kitchen floors, mats, walls, hoods, other equipment, loading dock and food storage areas.
- Control food cost and usage by following proper requisition of products from storage areas, product storage procedures, standard recipes and waste control procedures.
- Schedule labor as required by anticipated business activity while ensuring that all positions are staffed when and as needed and labor cost objectives are met.
- Assist the Executive Chef in conducting monthly Food Inventory and other product counts.
- Attend all Restaurant and Banquet Menu meetings as required for proper communication.
- Conduct pre-shift meetings with kitchen staff daily and participate in all restaurant pre-shift meetings as required.
- Perform all other duties as assigned.
CITY AND PUBLIC RELATIONS
- Maintain positive relations with all City of Palm Desert Management and the City Council to ensure a positive reputation for KemperSports and the resort.
- Actively engage our dining and banquet patrons to foster good PR.
- College degree preferred.
- 2 years culinary experience, supervisory and/or management experience, preferably in the golf industry.
- At least 6 to 12 months experience in a similar capacity.
- Must possess and maintain a valid Serve Safe Certificate from Riverside County, California.
- Demonstrated experience and capability in the areas of staff management and food control.
- Must be able to communicate clearly with managers, kitchen and dining room personnel and guests. Some Spanish language knowledge is helpful.
- Be able to reach, bend, stoop and frequently lift up to 50 pounds.
- Be able to work in a standing position for long periods of time (possibly up to 10 hours).
All Kitchen Staff
Work hours may include days and evenings on weekdays and weekends. Work primarily indoors in a kitchen/restaurant/lounge environment, with some outdoor work involving patio, and on-course service. Will be exposed to sharp utensils, extremely hot stoves and grills, sharp and rapid equipment movements, hot food, potentially dangerous chemicals and solvents on a daily basis. May be exposed, from time to time, to inclement weather, potentially dangerous pesticides, herbicides, fertilizers, equipment movement hazards, and misdirected golf balls. Injury may result if safety policies and practices are not properly followed at all times.
Must have the ability to:
- Read and write (English)
- Communicate verbally with staff members and/or customers
- Give and/or follow verbal and written instructions
- Supervise subordinates
- Visually inspect all work areas
- Operate equipment for several hours at a time
- Perform mathematical calculations involving fractions, decimals, and percentages
- Retrieve, read and interpret information from technical sources
- Stand, sit, walk, push, pull, lift, grasp, bend and kneel for up to 5 hours at a time.
- Lift up to 100 lbs occasionally, 50 lbs frequently, and 20 lbs constantly
KemperSports Management is an Equal Opportunity Employer
|<< Previous||[Back to List]||Next >>|